If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (203) 324-1642

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Carbon Monoxide Stats And Safety

3/9/2020 (Permalink)

According to the Center For Disease Control, more than 400 Americans die, 20,000 visit the hospital and 4,000 are admitted to the hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning every year. Carbon monoxide is invisible and odorless, which makes it extremely dangerous. Moderate carbon monoxide exposure can lead to a range of symptoms.  The severity of the symptoms varies with the level of exposure that you suffer. Moderate exposure may lead to headaches, nausea, or dizziness. If further exposure occurs, vomiting, confusion and loss of consciousness. It is highly undetectable, and even has the ability to cause death in some cases.

The first step to preventing this from happening in your home or business is to install a carbon monoxide detector.

Additionally, follow these simple tips to stay safe from carbon monoxide:

  • Have any gas or coal-burning appliances serviced and inspected by a professional on a regular basis.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors
  • Have your chimney serviced and inspected by a professional on a regular basis.
  • Never use your gas oven to heat your home or business
  • Never run a gas-powered generator inside your home
  • Never run your car in an attached garage, even if you have opened the garage door.  Running cars are the leading cause of carbon monoxide poisoning in homes.

If you feel that you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, immediately go outside to get some fresh air.  This could be the difference between being mildly sick and far more dangerous results.

Other News

View Recent Posts