Top Tips for Easy Prevention of Electrical Fires
As one of the top causes of house fires, electrical fires can happen anywhere in the home. You don’t want to suffer fire damage or worse due to a preventable electrical risk. Follow these safety tips to prevent electrical fires, and if you have an older home, you may want to hire a certified electrician to look at your wiring.
Plugging in or Unplugging Items - Safety Tips:
- First things first - Cover unused outlets with safety plugs if there are young children present. Or install outlets with spring-latch covers
- Replace or repair loose-fitting plugs, which can cause a shock or fire hazard
- Replace missing or broken wall plates to cover wiring and components
- When pulling a plug from the wall, hold the plug securely. Otherwise, you can wear out the cord, increasing the risk of a short circuit, an electric shock, or a fire
- Minimize use of multi-outlet extenders, power bars, and surge protectors. They pose the risk of overloading a single circuit
- Only use extension cords on a temporary basis. Ask a certified electrician to install additional electrical outlets
If your Stamford home or business suffers damage from an electrical fire, do not hesitate to contact SERVPRO of Stamford. We have the skilled technicians and specialized equipment to get the job done thoroughly and rapidly.